Day 1 of the WEGO Health Activist Writer's Challenge: Health Time Capsule

It's finally here - WEGO Health Blog's April 2012 Health Activist Month Challenge!  So without further adieu, I'll get started.



The Challenge:
Health Time Capsule. Pretend you’re making a time capsule of you & your health focus that won’t be opened until 2112. What’s in it? What would people think of it when they found it?

After doing a little research on time capsules (on It's About Time... time capsules, that is, and on Atlanta's Oglethorpe University International Time Capsule Society (ITCS) website) I decided I would want to get a bigger group together to fill the time capsule than just the stuff that I would put in there.  I would have enough to fill a decent sized capsule but really, who's going to care about just me in 100 years?  So I think I would ask all of my colleagues from the 2008 International Leaders Against Pain Conference  group and any readers of The ICIE blog who would like contribute to the time capsule and be part of a ceremony for burying it, to do so.  So how about it?  What would you like to put in this time capsule?  Where should we bury it?  Please leave a comment below detailing your ideas and what your contribution would be. 

The stuff I would put in would include:
  • A backup of The ICIE blog on a flash drive
  • Also on the flash drive:  all of the newsletters I wrote for the Albany, GA Area FM Support Group
  • OK, let's just say everything I've ever written about my health focus - on the flash drive
  • Copies of the books, DVDs and CDs that have helped me in my health journey - many of them are shown in no particular order on the amazon widget at the end of this post
Dreaming on, we would choose an appropriate vessel and marker for our time capsule (See Time Capsules, Inc. for some ideas), we would choose a place to bury our time capsule and plan an appropriate ceremony for the burial. We would of course register our time capsule with the ITCS and insure that it would be opened in 100 years.

My hope is that when the ceremony for the opening of the time capsule is done in 2112, everything in it will be obsolete because we will have conquered all of the health focus issues that our contributions tell the story of.  Everyone will be living clean, green and healthy.

That's my dream for my time capsule.

Comments

  1. I think this is a wonderful idea as maybe by then they will be closer to a cure or even have a cure and the people can see exactly what we have gone through.Just like now here in Florida people who really need pain medication can no longer find a place to fill it. All the pharmacies are only picking a couple select few to fill and telling the rest of the people that they have not had hydrocodone in months which is a outright lie they just choose not to fill it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Edie, great idea! I too think we should put some documentation in the time capsule of what people are going through in order to get effective medication for pain relief... and also show how many are going without for pointless political reasons. Surely in 100 years we will be able to do better for people who live with chronic pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would put in a list of all the alternatives that we have found that work for us. The supplements, herbs, alternative therapies. Hopefully by then, they will have found one that works for everyone and no pain drugs will be needed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome to The ICIE and thank you for commenting!

Note: If you are leaving a comment on this blog in an effort to advertise anything except your own valid topical blog or website, your comment will be marked as spam and will not be posted.

Popular posts from this blog

Marisol Maldonado "comes out" of the autoimmune closet with husband Rob Thomas' hit song & video "Her Diamonds" - check it out; it's way cool

Herniated cervical disc - Oh my!

Nerve Damage on the Vaginal Cuff After Total Hysterectomy